Quote-unQuote

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES...Music is the mathematics of the gods = PYTHAGORAS...Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I think therefore I am troubled = RENEE DESCARTES<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday, December 27, 2013

Quoting Balzac: God Almighty's Outcasts

____________________________________________________________________________________




Those poor bond-slaves who do the work of the world 
without a reward for their toil–God Almighty's outcasts, 
I call them.

Among them, I grant you is
virtue in all the flower of its stupidity
but poverty is no less their portion. 

At this moment, I think I see the long face 
those good folk would pull if God 
played a practical joke on them and
stayed away at the Last Judgment.  

- Honore de Balzac




The author attributes those words to Vautrin, the "criminal" character of PERE GORIOT
They are spoken to Rastignac, the "social climber."
____________________________________________________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment