Quote-unQuote

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES...Music is the mathematics of the gods = PYTHAGORAS...Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I think therefore I am troubled = RENEE DESCARTES<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The Dawning of Susan B. & My Tenth Birthday

_____________________________________________________________________________________

May 17, 1959
On Greenwich Avenue an old lady stopped me and said "Excuse me but don't I know you––?"
We exchanged names––she was Katherine Anthony (granddaughter of Susan B.) and we had met
at Malcolm's [Cowley] and elsewhere. She asked what I was doing in the neighborhood
and I said I was looking for an apartment. She said "Take mine" and I said "I will."
Next day she phoned me and I went to 23 Bank Street. It was beyond belief perfect––
beautiful, four rooms––so I paid $250 down and we go June 15.

DAWN POWELL
The Diaries...1931-1965



I was born May 18, 1949...Sixty years later...I was introduced to Dawn Powell
by my girlfriend, who merely acted in the family way. That is, she was a literary pimp.

My lady's great grandfather–one hundred generations ago–was a London newsboy
who patented the Cockney holler:
"Get ya' Shakespere here...Read all about it: Macbeth and all the other great Danes...
Get ya' Shakespere here."


The next Dawn Powell page is here.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment