Quote-unQuote

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES...Music is the mathematics of the gods = PYTHAGORAS...Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I think therefore I am troubled = RENEE DESCARTES<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Why Is She Not Better Known?

______________________________________________________________________________________








  In the NEW YORK TIMES, Lisa Zeidner asked:

  So why is she not better known?
  You could accept Tim Page's explanation,
  in "Dawn Powell: A Biography," that her
"dark, mordant attitude toward the world . . . rankled."










  She was simply too unsparing in her satire,
  offending the very people who might embrace her.

  As Powell wrote in her diary:
"I think my great handicap and strongest slavery
  is my insistence on freedom. I require it."
                                                                                                     Before ever reading 
a Dawn Powell novel,
I read this quote from Ms. Zeidner:

Powell is wittier than Dorothy Parker,
dissects the rich better than F. Scott Fitzgerald

When I first read that statement–
less than two years ago,
I would have sworn I smelled horse manure.

It cannot be true,
I thought, at that time.
Today, all I can say is...
Ms. Zeidner, thanks for proving me wrong!
You are 100% correct
But I will never stop
reading & re-reading
F. Scott Fitzgerald.

NOT reading Fitzgerald
is very bad for my mental health.


Scott Fitzgerald 
(1896-1940)


My alleged mental health is restored by reading
such articles as this one:

F. Scott Fitzgerald Estate Wondering Why The Hell 

Ken Burns Hasn’t Come Knocking Yet

 

 

The next Fitzgerald page is here.





  The next Powell page is there.

Dawn Powell
(1896-1965)
 _____________________________________________________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment