Quote-unQuote

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES...Music is the mathematics of the gods = PYTHAGORAS...Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I think therefore I am troubled = RENEE DESCARTES<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday, October 18, 2013

But I Can't Get Along Without Nina & Frank & Billie

___________________________________________________________________________________

I GET ALONG WITHOUT YOU VERY WELL was composed by Hoagy Carmichael in 1939,
with lyrics based on a poem written by Jane Brown Thompson.

The poem, entitled "Except Sometimes," was given
to Mr. Carmichael by a student at Indiana University.

I get along without you very well,
Of course I do.
Except the times a soft rain falls,
And dripping off the trees recalls
How you and I stood deep in mist
One day far in the woods, and kissed.
But now I get along without you — well,
Of course I do...



NINA SIMONE
I Get Along Without You Very Well



FRANK SINATRA
I Get Along Without You Very Well



BILLIE HOLIDAY
I Get Along Without You Very Well


Deciding which is the best rendition of this song
would be like deciding which is the best offer:
Ten million dollars or  $10,000,000 or  $10,000,000.00

No greater honor could be bestowed upon Jane Brown Thompson than to have her poem
"recited" by such a treasure triumvirate of Ms. Simone, Mr. Sinatra, and Ms. Holiday.

This page was requested by she who has me
reflected through her looking glass.


 The next Nina Simone page is  here. 
___________________________________________________________________________________


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You have said it twice...but maybe it should be said thrice...once for each voice
      Or...maybe more...times 4 because Hoagy the Carmichael composed the tune...then swoon with exponential gratitude for the poet, Jane Brown Thompson.
      Without her creation, this page would be invisible!

      Delete