Quote-unQuote

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES...Music is the mathematics of the gods = PYTHAGORAS...Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I think therefore I am troubled = RENEE DESCARTES<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday, October 27, 2014

The Monsignor & The Teenager

______________________________________________________________________________________


"Why do I make lists?" Amory asked him one night. 
"Lists of all sorts of things?"

"Because you're a mediaevalist," Monsignor answered. 
"We both are. It's the passion for classifying and finding a type."

"It's a desire to get something definite."

"It's the nucleus of scholastic philosophy."

"I was beginning to think I was growing eccentric 
 till I came up here. It was a pose, I guess."

"Don't worry about that; for you not posing 
 may be the biggest pose of all. Pose—"

"Yes?"

"But do the next thing."

F. Scott Fitzgerald 
This Side of Paradise
 (1920)







The fictional Monsignor is Thayer Darcy.

The 17year-old teenager is Amory Blaine.












Alleged authorities have proven that

Amory Blaine was the most influential teenager 
of the 20th Century before JD Salinger 
sent Amory through the Looking Glass 
and created Holden Caulfield...

You may now start your search engines.

The next Fitzgerald page is here.
______________________________________________________________________________________

 

No comments:

Post a Comment