Quote-unQuote

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES...Music is the mathematics of the gods = PYTHAGORAS...Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I think therefore I am troubled = RENEE DESCARTES<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday, May 29, 2014

The Blogs WOGGS Of Dawn Powell

____________________________________________________________________________________

Ninety-nine Years Ago...
Dawn Powell, then 19,
drew this picture of
Bossie & Bessie


It is excerpted
from her first diary
(still in existence).

The diary was named 

Woggs





Written in 1915,  more than forty-five annual diaries were to follow.

Here is a sample entry from Woggs:

At times I grow a bit weary of these tremendous jumps and bumps in my life 
but I suppose--I know--that if life for me were a placid, smoothly-running path, 
I would die of the tiresomeness of it. 

Well, Woggs, we are destined for a hard ride in life, with many bumps and jumps, 
but it will be a swift, breathless ride and we will arrive all the sooner. 

So we may as well pull down our hats, button up our coats and hang on to our seats, 
instead of pausing to speculate .... We've had a fine summer together--almost ideal--
but it's time now to worry about money and college. I did think I would borrow some 
but I guess I won't. I'll get it someway. You'll hear great things of me, someday. 
Goodbye, Woggs.



There are almost as many GoodFather of Math
pages dedicated to Dawn Powell
as there are Dawn Powell annual diaries.

All I have left to say here is that if you have
an author that you love,
your understanding of that author is not complete until you have read his/her diaries.
(Or, at least, read their letters.)

But if that author is alive and well today,
there may be no more diaries to read.

However, you can always read
their woggs blogs.





This image of Dawn Powell is from here
and the next complete Dawn Powell page
is there but she gets an honorable mention
from  a very special spider. 
____________________________________________________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment